[PROJ] Proposal for a geodetic deformation model format

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Dec 5 09:18:38 PST 2019

Chris,

A well-thought and thorough proposal !

A few questions/observations:

- regarding "The horizontal displacement is represented by metres east and
north. Typically base datum will be a geographic coordinate system using
latitude and longitude and it would be more efficient to define displacement
in terms of degrees.".
Is it the same convention as PROJ deformation method
(https://proj.org/operations/transformations/deformation.html) which uses
grids to store corrections in the ENU space as far as I understand ?

(more a question for Kristian: I presume this ENU space is the same as the UVW
topocentric coordinate system described in 4.1.2 "Geocentric/topocentric
conversions" of
https://www.iogp.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/373-07-02.pdf ?)

For the easting, northing I presume yes. But I'm not sure if the convention
you mention for vertical correction "The vertical direction will be the local
vertical of the coordinate system." corresponds to the U of ENU. Or perhaps
this falls in your remark "For deformation
there is no practical need to distinguish gravitational and geometric
vertical" ?
That said, PROJ deformation method is a bit different in that it is meant to
perate with input and output coordinates in geocentric space: it uses
internally a geocentric to geodetic conversion to be able to retrieve the
correction values from the grid(s), and then convert those corrections from
the ENU space to the geocentric space.

- regarding "Strictly the inverse calculation of the deformation model is an
iterative calculation, as the location of a point in the interpolation
coordinate system is not known until it is transformed back to that system."
I just want to mention that PROJ uses an iterative method for the inverse of
horizontal shift grids (NTv2 etc), so wouldn't be a problem to use that for
deformation models as well. Actually PROJ deformation method also uses that
iterative method.

- regarding nesting of grids, is my understanding correct that if you have a
grid G, that has subgrids G_1 et G_2, and that a point falls in G and G_1,
then the corections of both G and G_1 should be applied ? Just wanted to
underline this, as it is different of the NTv2 model where you apply one or
the other (preferably G_1), but not both.

- it could help for a better understanding to have a small example of a CSV
file illustrating the different concepts you expose. Nested grids, different
time functions etc.

- The approach master CSV file + separate grids in dedicated files has its
merits indeed. The actual grid format, GTiff, HDF5 or whatever raw binary
format that can support multiple samples per grid node will make little
difference because the specificities/complexities of the description of the
deformation model is in the CSV file itself.

- So if a earthquake happens, basically you'll create a new grid in the area
that is affected, and create a new version of the CSV file where you add an
extra row that references it, right ? (I'm probably over-simplifying)

- Any indication of the number of grids a deformation model might have ? For
the NZ case for example

- Just a detail: regarding "velocity f(t) = (t – t0)/(365.2425 days)", if time
and volicities are expressed respectively in decimal year and
some_linear_unit/decimal_year, that should probably be just f(t) = t-t0

- I'm still having issues to grasp the practical implications of the "reverse
step". Is my understanding correct that a coordinate computed for example for
NZGD2000 @ 2010.0 with a deformation model of 2019 might potentially change
with a deformation model of 2020 ? Should the deformation model used be also
captured in the metadata associated with a coordinate? If so, it looks like a
change in the deformation model would be better handled by defining a revised
version of the datum (but I know you don't want to publish a new NZGD datum
every 6 month). I'm super confused... I'm pretty sure we had that discussion
already, but I've forgotten the outcome. I'd be very interested in having a
concrete example of a workflow of how users are supposed to use such
deformation models, and which metadata they are supposed to store to be able
to later reprocess their coordinates.