[PROJ] Closing in on the release of PROJ 6

Kristian Evers kreve at sdfe.dk
Tue Jan 15 03:18:39 PST 2019

All,

Today we are one and a half month away from the scheduled release of PROJ 6. This release is going to be a giant leap forwards in terms of handling of CRS metadata and determination of transformations between systems. I am looking forward to the final release and all the new functionality it brings to the world!

With the release date closing in it also means that now is the time to wrap up any outstanding work that is left to do before release. I plan to the first release candidate February 15th, which leaves exactly one month to wrap things up. On GitHub I have catalogued issues I think thought be handled before the release. See the list here https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/milestones/6.0.0. It mostly concern updates to the documentation and the CMake build system. I would like to ask PROJ developers to please try to find the time to resolve those issues in time for the release candidate. If that is not possible we will need to consider postponing the release as I regard most of the issues in the list as blocking issues for the upcoming release.

Best regards,
Kristian