[PROJ] "Trustworthiness" of vertical transformations

Kristian Evers kreve at sdfe.dk
Tue Nov 26 02:52:07 PST 2019

Nyall,

You are indeed correct in assuming that the world of vertical
transformations isn't always straight forward. I think the best
tip I can give you is to consult the accuracy of the transformation
as reported by PROJ. In the example Even has used in the issue
that you link to it is 0.35 m. In other cases it will be "unknown accuracy"
if there is not enough information available about a given transformation.
Ultimately the accuracies are reported by the local geodetic authorities
so in general I would just trust those.

You can get the transformation accuracy using the API function
proj_coordoperation_get_accuracy(). I think it would be cool if
information about transformation accuracy where readily available in
software like QGIS (nudge, nudge :-))

/Kristian