[PROJ] GRS80 ellipsoid off-center

Lesparre, Jochem Jochem.Lesparre at kadaster.nl
Fri Feb 7 12:04:46 PST 2020

Hi Pierre,

It is normal that ellipsoids with the same shape but different centre have the same name. An ellipsoid is defined by the semi-major axis (a) and the flattening (f). The location of the centre, orientation and scale are part of the geodetic datum, not of the ellipsoid.

To make it even more complicated, slight changes in the datum transformation parameters due no new measurements are often considered a new realisation. But not always a new name is used for the datum.

Often, the distinction between reference system, ellipsoid and datum is not clearly made and they get the same name or people consider (wrongly according to me) that the ellipsoid is part of the datum. Differences between reference frames (=realisation) and the reference system are seldomly made. ITRS being the most important exception.

So the solution is not to use a different names for the same ellipsoid, but to introduce clear unique names for the different datums and realisations.

Kind regards, Jochem