[PROJ] GRS80 ellipsoid off-center

Brian Shaw brian.shaw at noaa.gov
Fri Feb 7 14:25:10 PST 2020

As others of stated it is the same ellipsoid, only the origin of the
ellipsoid is being shifted 2.2 meters to what is considered the center
of mass today (what ITRF determines).  While NAD 83 and the original
WGS84 were off center, 2.2 meters was not bad considering this was
mostly determined using Doppler and other measurements prior to GPS.

As for your projection parameters I believe you are referencing SPCS
changes coming with NSRS Modernization.   Assuming so you would be
interested to know that SPCS2022 will now develop the projections based
on the surface of land where SPCS83 was developed on the ellipsoid.
Many states are planning to develop (or already have) Low Distortion
Projections for their states in addition to the zones NGS will develop.

Addition resources about SPCS:

Home page with links to many maps and data:
https://geodesy.noaa.gov/SPCS/index.shtml

The State Plane Coordinate System History, Policy, and Future Directions
https://geodesy.noaa.gov/library/pdfs/SP_NOS_NGS_13.pdf

2 most recent Recorded Webinars on SPCS
https://geodesy.noaa.gov/web/science_edu/webinar_series/guide-customizing-spcs-2022.shtml
https://geodesy.noaa.gov/web/science_edu/webinar_series/state-plane-coordinates-3.shtml