[PROJ] Closing in on PROJ 7 release date

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Mon Jan 13 07:28:48 PST 2020

Kristian Evers <kreve at sdfe.dk> writes:

> This is a reminder that we are getting close to the release of PROJ 7.0.0 on March 1st.
> Since this is a major version release I plan to put out a release candidate earlier than
> usual.

pkgsrc has not yet updated to 6 due to a lack of confidence on my part
that proj-depending packages will break, although perhaps it is now time
to do that.  My impression is that at least some other packaging systems
have also not upgraded to 6.

So, I wonder if you or someone could share a quick summary of any API
breaks or withdrawals from 6 to 7?  (From a packaging point of view,
going from "if you define WANT_OLD_API and that worked in 6 and doesn't
in 7", that's an API withdrawal.)

(I was about to review NEWS on master from the repo, but it seems that
  https://proj.org/development/index.html
does not, or does not obviously have, a link to the sources.
Having found what I think is the right repo at
https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/
it seems the master branch NEWS doesn't have any 7 entries.)

I will of course need to know if there is an ABI break when doing the
update, but that is not a problem for the packaging system, as simply
noting that and expecting everything to be rebuilt is well within
normal.

Thanks,
greg