[PROJ] Closing in on PROJ 7 release date

Kristian Evers kreve at sdfe.dk
Mon Jan 13 07:47:38 PST 2020

Greg,

Breaking changes going from 6 to 7 will mainly be:

1. removal of proj_api.h as a public interface (this is the big one!)
2. removal of the Java Native Interface bindings (as they rely on the above)
3. ... and possibly RFC4-related changes regarding grid management (not sure about this one yet)

As for the NEWS file, I update that as part of the release procedure so that
won't cover 7.0 specifics until the first RC is out. For now you can keep an eye
on https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/issues?q=is%3Aclosed+milestone%3A7.0.0
which tracks pull requests and issues related to the 7.0.0 release.

You are right in saying that the website doesn't have an obvious link to the repository
on GitHub. We should fix that. Where would be a good place to put it? Development section?

I plan on maintaining the 6.3.x branch during all of 2020. I don't know how much longer
than that it make sense to keep it alive, but at least it should extend the period
that packagers can keep software that depends on proj_api.h. An updated release
schedule is on my todo-list!

/Kristian