[PROJ] Calling for 7.0.1 release

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Tue Mar 24 09:13:44 PDT 2020

On 3/24/20 5:01 PM, Devrim Gündüz wrote:
> I'm very excited to push Proj 7.0 to the community repos, so that people can
> benefit from the new features -- but then there is that build failure. I would
> not pester you if it was a Fedora 31 or RHEL 6 issue, but RHEL 7 is still very
> widely used.

The problem with RHEL 7 is that is was released in 2014 around the same
time as Ubuntu trusty which is EOL since 2019.

While RHEL 7 is still widely used, partially because you cannot easily
upgrade running systems to RHEL 8, its packages are quite old by now.

Packaging recent upstream releases on LTS distribution tends to have
these problems, and it's not shame to conclude that those recent
upstream releases cannot reasonably be provided on those LTS distributions.

We see this in UbuntuGIS for example too, it's becoming increasingly
difficult to backports geospatial packages to xenial (released in 2016),
QGIS being a prime example.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--