[PROJ] Calling for 7.0.1 release

Devrim Gündüz devrim at gunduz.org
Tue Mar 24 09:01:05 PDT 2020

Hi Kristian,

On Tue, 2020-03-24 at 13:05 +0000, Kristian Evers wrote:
> Welcome to the list! We're always happy to hear from the packagers of PROJ.

Thanks!

> As you may already be aware, the next release is scheduled for May 1st. I am
> curious as to why this can't wait about a month to be dealt with? What are
> the other packages that are blocked by this?

I cannot comment on your release cycle (and respect that), but OTOH 7.0.0
cannot be built on RHEL 7, a major distro.

> Ideally I would push out new packages maybe once a month but that is simply
> not feasible for me to do. I can't set time aside that often to put out a new
> release. We are currently doing bi-monthly releases which I think is rather
> frequent and most importantly (to me) it fits my work schedule fairly well.
> With that said, exceptions can be made, I just need the arguments to be
> convincing.

I'm very excited to push Proj 7.0 to the community repos, so that people can
benefit from the new features -- but then there is that build failure. I would
not pester you if it was a Fedora 31 or RHEL 6 issue, but RHEL 7 is still very
widely used.

Regards,

--
Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, Red Hat Certified Engineer