[PROJ] Strange values with NAVD88

Javier Jimenez Shaw j1 at jimenezshaw.com
Sun Nov 1 12:13:17 PST 2020

Wow. Thank you very much, Even and Greg. I was not expecting such a long
and detailed explanation/discussion.

My bigger surprise when I looked at the data was the 1m height difference.
The "america geoids" I was checking were the NGA ones, like Geoid2018,
geoid12b and so on. Not EGM96 or 2008. Now I understand that the difference
comes from the transformations used, with a Helmert transformation or not.
Now I have much more clear the impact of the different datums in the WGS84
ensemble. I knew about the topic due to a previous email from Even in this
list. But didn't go deep until now.

My final use case is C++ transformation. More exactly via GDAL, using
"OGRCreateCoordinateTransformation" and "Transform". There you do not have
that many options. I assume that cs2cs is similar to that.
The final problem I am facing is that data is usually tagged as WGS84.
That's all. I would be very happy (and surprised) if ,for instance, a drone
with RTK is telling the user that the coordinates are in WGS84(G1762).

As you mentioned, with EPSG:4326 you cannot expect sub-metre accuracy.

Let's see how it goes with the "North American Terrestrial Reference Frame
of 2022 (NATRF2022)" + NAPGD2022 ... in a couple of years ;)

Thanks again.
Javier
Entre dos pensamientos racionales
hay infinitos pensamientos irracionales.