[PROJ] Realistic way of handling unknown bounds in proj_get_area_of_use

Laurențiu Nicola lnicola at dend.ro
Wed Nov 4 11:08:17 PST 2020

Hello, and sorry if this is a strange question -- I'm not really familiar with the PROJ library.

While trying to include proj_get_area_of_use in the Rust PROJ bindings (https://github.com/georust/proj/pull/50) a question came up of how probable is the case when the call succeeds, but the bounds are not available (and are thus returned as -1000).

>From the implementation, it looks like it might happen (it could be that only one of the four values is unknown), but as a novice user I would associate that with an error case. So I guess I'm asking if:

1. could it happen that the area name is available but the bounds are missing?
2. if one or more of the limits is missing, can a caller do anything meaningful with the result, or is it practically an error?

As prior art, pyproj doesn't seem to check for -1000, putting the onus on the caller to validate the bounds. My feeling is that the answer to both questions above is true and the Rust bindings should try to preserve that functionality.

Thanks,
Laurentiu Nicola