[PROJ] [central_bureau at iers.org] IERS Message No. 411: The ISO Geodetic Registry

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com
Fri Nov 20 07:16:06 PST 2020

Le 20/11/2020 à 15:50, Javier Jimenez Shaw a écrit :

> I can't help thinking on XKCD Standards strip: https://xkcd.com/927/
> <https://xkcd.com/927/>

There is a significant difference: before this ISO work we did not have
(as far as I know) any standard for online registry of CRS. The common
practice was to download the entire EPSG database, then include its data
in the software product in some way. In my understanding, ISO is working
on standardization of the way to request a web service for a CRS
definition. This ISO registry would be the first registry compliant with
such standard.

This project has been mentioned in various OGC meetings in the last few
years. EPSG peoples are aware of it, but I do not know to which extent
they were a collaboration (or not).

     Martin