[PROJ] Strange axes in LV03

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com
Fri Oct 8 04:20:48 PDT 2021

Le 08/10/2021 à 12:29, Javier Jimenez Shaw a écrit :

> The first axis is east... however the abbreviation is "Y". Is there
> any reason for that? Is it just a mistake in EPSG data? I have the
> impression that I should ignore that abbreviation, and relay only on
> the direction. But it is getting hard ;)

Indeed I asked a similar question to Roger Lott from EPSG a while ago. I
confirmed that there is various abbreviation conventions for projected
CRS around the world and that we can not expect a single convention to
apply everywhere. The EPSG database reflect those various usages.

Axis abbreviation should not be used for identifying axis directions.
The direction code list at the end of AXIS element is what should be used.

     Martin