[PROJ] DerivedProjected in Compound

Javier Jimenez Shaw j1 at jimenezshaw.com
Fri Aug 5 08:36:35 PDT 2022

Hi
I am trying to create a Compound CRS with a DERIVEDPROJCRS and a VERTCRS,
but I get an exception in C++:

"components of the compound CRS do not belong to one of the allowed
combinations of http://docs.opengeospatial.org/as/18-005r4/18-005r4.html#34"

In that documentation,
"Coordinate reference systems that are combined are required to not contain
any duplicate or redundant axes. Valid combinations shall be the following."
I would expect that "c) Projected 2D + Vertical." were also valid for a
derived projected.

Looking at the figure 9: UML diagram — Coordinate Reference Systems package
you can see that "DerivedGeographicCRS" is a "GeographicCRS", and
"DerivedVerticalCRS" is a "VerticalCRS". However "DerivedProjectedCRS"
contains a "ProjectedCRS".
I guess the reason for that difference is that "ProjectedCRS" is already a
"DerivedCRS", and they do not want to have multiple inheritance. Makes
sense.

However it produces a strong limitation: cannot use a derived Projected in
a compound.

Would it make sense to allow also a DerivedProjectedCRS in
CompoundCRS::create (and I guess also in CompoundCRS::createLax)?

Thanks,
Javier
Entre dos pensamientos racionales
hay infinitos pensamientos irracionales.