[PROJ] Proj9 small library size

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Aug 16 13:08:00 PDT 2022

Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic at xs4all.nl> writes:

> On 8/16/22 14:03, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> writes:
>>
>>> @Mike That's a different thing. libproj-dev from PROJ 7 includes the
>>> static .a library, whereas the one from PROJ 9 doesn't (since PROJ
>>> CMake builds only build shared or static libraries, but not both at
>>> the same time)
>>
>> That seems like a bug, if you can't easily pass a switch to make both.
>
> It's long standing CMake behavior.
>
> libtools builds both by default, so switching to CMake implies
> dropping dropping the static library, or building the project twice
> setting BUILD_SHARED_LIBS accordingly.
>
> It's of the reasons switching from Autotools to CMake is considered a
> regression of packaging point of view.

But people keep telling me that moving to cmake from autotools has no
regressions!

> The static library is a convenience for users of the Debian package,
> it's not used by other packages, so dropping it is not a big deal, it
> only affects a small subset of users.

Sure, I get it that it doesn't hurt too many that much.  But the
longstanding norm is to install both so that non-packaging users can use
it, and cmake should meet norms, arguably by default.

(Charles: thanks for the hint; maybe this can be patched in proj to get
back to standard behavior so that the switch to cmake isn't a
regression.)