[PROJ] Pitching the proj project to Google's Geo team

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com
Mon Aug 22 09:50:40 PDT 2022

Le 22/08/2022 à 17:05, Lesparre, Jochem via PROJ a écrit :

> I support:
>
>   *  (…snip…)
>   * Greg’s suggestion to stop using WGS84 (EPSG:4326).

Just one nuance about above last point. I agree about deprecating
EPSG:4326 for /data producers/ (i.e. encourage all data producers to
describe their CRS as accurately as they can). But we still need
EPSG:4326 as an ensemble (i.e. with its ~2 meters uncertainty) for /data
users/. The reason is that when a software reads a file from unknown
source, if the CRS has not been accurately defined by the producer,
there is nothing the software or user can do about that. In those cases,
the worst thing would be to /pretend/ that we have a CRS of some
specific realization while actually the software has no idea. We need a
way to said "we don't know what is the realization because the producer
did not tell us, expect a 2 meters uncertainty".

So I would not be in favour of interpreting EPSG:4326 as the latest
realization. I think it should continue to mean "we don't know the
realization", and every coordinate transformation involving EPSG:4326
should declare a 2 meters uncertainty. We need to keep the possibility
to said "we don't know", even if we want to encourage data producers to
be more accurate.

     Martin