[PROJ] Pitching the proj project to Google's Geo team

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com
Tue Aug 23 07:11:09 PDT 2022

Le 20/08/2022 à 23:40, Cameron Shorter via PROJ a écrit :

> I now have a job at Google (outside of Geospatial), and have been
> asked to present to Google's Geo team about misaligned maps due to
> tectonic plate movements, and what to do about that.

I did not answered directly to the first question yet, but are you aware
of OGC GGXF effort?

    https://github.com/opengeospatial/CRS-Gridded-Geodetic-data-eXchange-Format/

This is a proposed OGC standard format for encoding the information
needed for performing coordinate transformations due to tectonic plate
movements, among other geodetic operations. It is currently based on
netCDF, but we try to split the standard in a "carrier neutral" core and
an annex which applies the core to netCDF-4 carrier. That way, it keeps
the door open for adding other carriers (e.g. ZARR or GeoTIFF) if needed.

A little bit of history: ESRI and IOGP (the maintainer of EPSG database)
started to look at this issue maybe 5~10 years ago. ESRI already made a
first proposal based on netCDF at that time (so contrarily to what have
been said on this mailing list, this effort did not started because of
PROJ doing something similar 2 years ago). However that work had little
progress until 2 years ago for human resource reason: CRS activity in
the last years at OGC has progressed a lot thanks to a man who
accomplished a tremendous amount of standardization work: Roger Lott
from IOGP. But Roger has been busy with the first version of ISO 19162
(WKT 2) before 2015, then with revision of ISO 19111 precisely for
taking in account plate movements (that ISO 19111 revision introduced
dynamic CRS and "Point Motion" operation), then with revision of ISO
19162 for leveraging above-cited new capabilities, and revision of EPSG
database schema (version 10.x changed significantly compared to 9.x) for
same reason. Roger became available for new work only 2 years ago.

The GGXF working group includes members from IOGP, ESRI, AIG
(International Association of Geodesy), various mapping agencies and
Chris Crook who helped to design the GeoTIFF format used by PROJ for
gridded datum shifts. So not only we are well aware of the work PROJ
initiated, but one of the key designers of that work is one of the most
active GGXF contributors.

The group has produced two documents. One document about deformation
model (largely Chris's work) has been completed and will be submitted at
OGC for approval I think in October. The other document is about the
GGXF format itself, which after 2 years of work is close to completion.
The feasibility of GGXF is tested by a prototype written in Python by Chris.

So to address the tectonic movements issue, I think that OGC standards
are putting pieces in place, thanks to Roger's and Chris's work. I
presume that when GGXF will be an approved standard, it will be used in
EPSG database as operation parameters whose value is a path to a GGXF
file. But there is a delay of many years between standard approval and
their actual implementation in open source software. For example in
Apache SIS, we have not yet implemented the new features introduced in
ISO 19111:2019 (point motion operations, etc.) and the corresponding
updates in ISO 19162:2019 and EPSG database version 10.x. In PROJ as
well, I'm not sure if "Point Motion operation" is already implemented.

So I believe that OGC standards are in good progress for addressing the
issue raised by Cameron, but implementations lag a few years behind
(which is normal).

     Martin