[PROJ] Pitching the proj project to Google's Geo team

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Aug 24 05:18:15 PDT 2022

Richard Greenwood <richard.greenwood at gmail.com> writes:

> l don't know how many sentences fit on a slide but I would say that the
> EPSG system no longer meets current Geo location needs. It was developed
> when coordinate systems were primarily regional and plate based. Coordinate
> positions are now geocentric, yet most of us still live on one plate or
> another. Someone (maybe Google) needs to develop an unambiguous system to
> tie geocentric positions to the plates over time to address the half meter
> of error that accumulates every decade.

I really do not understand where you are coming from at all.

EPSG is simply a catalog of datums and projections, giving a unique name
(ID) to talk about something that (almost always) already exists.

The EPSG catalog contains a number of world-wide systems (roughly, the
ITRF family, of which WGS84 is now a part), and also contains a number
of classical regional datums.  There are transforms between those.

What's needed is pretty simple and I think pretty much everybody here
understands it

  stop using ensembles to store or serve data

  carry epoch in datasets.  (Even for theoretically plate-fixed frames,
  there is motion (e.g. NAD83(2011)), but many of those use data from a
  reference epoch).

  Record and use epoch-aware transforms.

gdal has made great strides, and the big problem is in specifications
like TMS.  Replacing EPSG with something else isn't going to fix TMS and
geojson.

And, this work need to be done by people competent in geodessy with
adequate authority to insist on it being done right.   An organization
that brought us maps in "WGS84" and "spherical mercator" is IMHO not a
leading candidate for that, but I'd be happy to be shown otherwise.