[PROJ] Pitching the proj project to Google's Geo team

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com
Tue Aug 23 08:29:36 PDT 2022

Hello Glen

An alternative to BOUNDCRS with more flexibility would be
COORDINATEOPERATION. However the main drawback is that it is not a CRS;
it is another kind of object. Whether this alternative is applicable or
not depends on if the WKT would be used in a context accepting only CRS
or if other kinds of object (namely coordinate operations) are accepted
as well. If COORDINATEOPERATION can be used, it allows the declaration
of INTERPOLATIONCRS and OPERATIONACCURACY elements among other. Example
5 below shows its use in a "DHHN92 height to EVRF2007 height"
transformation:

    http://docs.opengeospatial.org/is/18-010r7/18-010r7.html#143

I saw that the BoundCRS for "NAD83 / UTM zone 15N + NOAA Chart Datum"
uses parameters that a paths to *.gtx files. This is a case where those
files may be replaceable by GGXF files. Latest draft is available as a
PDF document there:

    https://github.com/opengeospatial/CRS-Gridded-Geodetic-data-eXchange-Format/issues/40

The proposed standard supports hydroid models at table C.4 (page 57).
Uncertainty is also supported by the proposed standard (table C.5 among
others). Feedback would be very welcome before the draft become final!
(I suggest to post comment directly on above GitHub issue if any).

     Martin