[PROJ] Does WGS84 automatically use EGM96 in PROJ?

Andrew Kelley akelley2500 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 13:54:50 PST 2022

Hello,

My team is using PROJ to convert ECEF coordinates to ENU coordinates
(relative to a fixed point on the surface of the Earth). When we use WGS84
for this, does that automatically use EGM96? What makes me think EGM96 is
used is that one website I found
<http://wiki.gis.com/wiki/index.php/WGS84> says,
"Presently WGS 84 uses the 1996 Earth Gravitational Model (EGM96) geoid,
revised in 2004."  But I found out elsewhere online
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Gravitational_Model> that there is an
EGM84, EGM96, and an EGM2008.

Note: We are currently using proj-strings, though we would be happy to use
object codes (ie. EPSG:XXXX) if we knew how to specify the origin of the
ENU coordinates when using an object code.

Thank you for your time,
Andrew Kelley