[PROJ] Could you please explain me why I can't project RDN2008 (EPSG:6706) to ERTF2000 (EPSG:9067) or ITRF2000 (EPGS:8997)

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Jul 19 02:14:44 PDT 2022

Giacomo,

Coordinate transformations are definitely not a trivial subject, so no
worry not understanding what's going on here.

PROJ uses the content of its database to find, or infer, coordinate
transformations. Most of the content comes from the EPSG database itself.

For RDN2008, there are 2 transformations available:

- one from RDN2008 to ETRS89 (EPSG:4258), with a null Helmert
transformation and a accuracy of 0 m. This is consistant with how you
described RDN2008, and this transformation has the comment "RDN2008 is
the second Italian realization of ETRS89"

- one from RDN2008 to WGS 84, which is the same null Helmert
transformation, copied from the above, but with a accuracy of 1 m (due
to WGS 84 being dynamic and moving over time compared to plate fixed CRS
such as RDN2008 or ETRS89)

The first one would be a good candidate, but PROJ doesn't know he can
use it, since there is no explicit transformation in its database
between ETRS89 and ETRF2000. That said in the database, ETRS89 is
modeled as a datum ensemble of the many ETRFxxxx realizations, so
potentially PROJ could use that information to infer a null
transformation between ETRS89 and ETRF2000 with the accuracy of the
datum ensemble (here 0.1 m) (we actually do that manually for the WGS 84
datum ensemble vs its realizations, but that should be generalized), and
chain that together with the RDN2008 to ETRS89 transformation.

In the meantime, you can customize your proj.db by adding the following
2 records. Can be done with the sqlite3 command line utility

$ sqlite3 proj.db

INSERT INTO "helmert_transformation"
VALUES('PROJ','ETRS89_TO_ETRF2000','ETRS89 to ETRF2000','Accuracy 0.1m,
derived from ETRS89 datum ensemble definition','EPSG','9603','Geocentric
translations (geog2D
domain)','EPSG','4258','EPSG','9067',0.1,0,0,0,'EPSG','9001',NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,'',0);
INSERT INTO "usage" VALUES(
     'PROJ',
     'ETRS89_TO_ETRF2000_USAGE',
     'helmert_transformation',
     'PROJ',
     'ETRS89_TO_ETRF2000',
     'EPSG','1298', -- Europe
     'EPSG','1024'  -- unknown
);

.quit

With that, you'll get

$ projinfo -s RDN2008 -t ETRF2000
Candidate operations found: 1
Operation No. 1:

unknown id, RDN2008 to ETRS89 (1) + ETRS89 to ETRF2000, 0.1 m, Italy -
onshore and offshore; San Marino, Vatican City State.

PROJ string:
+proj=noop

Even