[PROJ] Intermediate steps due same datum transformation

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Jul 19 08:10:50 PDT 2022

Le 19/07/2022 à 17:02, Oleg Bizin a écrit :
> Even,
>
> Thank you for the detailed answer!
>
> I have a couple more clarifying questions.
>
>     More generally PROJ >= 6 will not use WGS 84 as a compulsory pivot
>     in coordinate transformations
>
> 1. Is it correct that the  PROJ < 6 definitely uses WGS84 as a
> compulsory pivot?
When there was a datum indication in the PROJ.4 string, yes, since
+towgs84 or +nadgrids implied the WGS84 pivot. When source and
transformation CRS PROJ.4 strings used the same +towgs84 terms, that was
skipped as an optimization (what newer PROJ does too)

> 2. Currently, before your fix, for custom crs transformation to WGS84
> may perform, but  without significant impact on accuracy?

For most uses yes, it shouldn't have significant impact. Unless you
transformation coordinates back and forth many many times.