[PROJ] Latitude of natural origin in Transverse Mercator

Paul Harwood runette at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 00:08:40 PST 2023

Whilst I have nothing like the mathematical knowledge or expertise of those
who have already answered, I have some experience of playing around with
this for an app that puts geographic entities into a VR space that needs
locally accurate cartesian coordinates using an engineering projection that
is TM with a local, arbitrary origin.

I would totally agree with Janne. If you want to avoid confusing yourself
and everyone around you and making hard-to-diagnose bugs - keep the input
coords of the origin in the input CRS.

Just thinking about the BNG case, although the False Northing is
mathematically the same as the Latitude of origin, the False Easting is not
the same the Central Longitude (since I would understand that the former is
already projected) and you would need to clearly understand if the units of
the False Northing are subject to the local scaling factors. All totally
mathematically possible, of course, but from a design, coding and
especially from a maintenance perspective a total nightmare.

Paul