[PROJ] Area of usage (short) name

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Jul 18 15:02:55 PDT 2023

Javier,

digging a bit, there's a bit of back & forth history involved.

Originally, PROJ returned the short name as the extent description . But
then
https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/commit/3ed9a613d8da9874f45d2a069686f1fa38c72ad9
came: "Database: use extended description for extent/area of use, as
done by epsg.org WKT export"

EPSG apparently changed again their mind later since I see now that in
their WKT output there's no longer any USAGE[] node.

So basically the object model of osgeo::proj::metadata::Extent should
likely be extended with a shortName() getter (the corresponding GeoAPI
class that serves as the inspiration,
http://www.geoapi.org/3.0/javadoc/org.opengis.geoapi/org/opengis/metadata/extent/Extent.html,
has a single getDescription()), a C binding to get it (likely
proj_get_area_of_use_ex2()), and
AuthorityFactory::Private::createPropertiesSearchUsages() be modified to
populate it.

Even