[PROJ] PROJ 9.3.0 EPSG behavior on debian:sid versus osgeo/proj image

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sun Sep 3 14:22:29 PDT 2023

David,
> 1. EPSG code returned from `proj_identify` on one platform and not the
> other even with the same PROJ source. Assuming I didn't make a dumb
> mistake this would suggest some dependency is changing the behavior of
> how the proj.db database is read/used...right? The only thing I can
> think of is libtiff or sqlite3.

Likely that your pyproj install bundes PROJ 9.2.1 and not 9.3.0 since:

$ docker run --rm -it osgeo/proj:latest proj --version
Rel. 9.3.0, September 1st, 2023

$ docker run --rm -it osgeo/proj:latest projinfo --identify "+proj=laea
+lat_0=90 +lon_0=0 +x_0=0 +y_0=0 +R=6371228 +units=m +no_defs +type=crs"
[...]
Identification match count: 1
EPSG:3408: 70 %

> 2. The EPSG code created from a confidence of 70% is not considered
> equivalent even though the API docs say "70% means that CRS are
> equivalent, but the names are not equivalent."

Fixed per https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/pull/3879 (although this fix
makes me slightly nervous)

As said many times, using PROJ.4 strings is bound to cause various
issues. In particular, you will not be able to perform correct datum
transformations.