[PROJ] Unexpected CRS Validation Error

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Mar 28 08:10:23 PDT 2024

Hi,

just a few complements to Javier's analysis:

- what you observe and what Javier mentioned applies if you import
directly the .prj WKT content, but the GDAL shapefile driver actually
replaces this not pretty WKT with a cleaned version of EPSG:4326 (at
least with GDAL+PROJ master), so if you use the high level GDAL API,
things should work smoothly

- the 9001 ID you observe when looking at the WKT2 output of the result
of the ingestion of the .prj  is *not* a CRS ID. It is the ID of the
ellipsoid's lengthunit=metre. You can have several IDs in a WKT
definition: for the CRS, datum, ellipsoid, projection method, projection
parameter, units, etc. They only apply to the node to which they are
applied to. In some contexts, they are advised to be omitted. The
general rule is "if you know the id of a top-level object, you can omit
the IDs of its child elements, except in several cases". All gory
details at https://www.ogc.org/standard/wkt-crs/

So all in all, to me things are working as expected. It is mostly you
deal with a a slightly non-compliant .prj file

Even