[Qgis-community-team] A couple of comments about the manual

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Tue Dec 16 17:07:39 EST 2008

Hi

On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 22:48 +0100, Otto Dassau wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 23:16:26 +0200
> Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > I just noticed that figure 1 and figure 2 are the same image in the
> > manual.
> >
> > Also I would like to suggest that 'complicated' things like mentioning
> > compiling from source, command line options get moved to a later point
> > in the manual. For building user confidence I think it cant be
> > underestimated how useful it is to have the user :
> >
> > - open qgis
> > - add a sample layer
> > - point / click /  pan and zoom a little
>
> thanks for the suggestions and you are right, there are still some content
> things we need to change. Our strategy for now is:
>
> a) Write all missing sections and update existing sections if not yet finished.
> b) Review the whole document to find what you just mentioned:
> 'complicated' things, figure 1 and figure 2 are the same ...
> c) Proof-read the whole document.
>
> We are not ready for proof-reading yet,

Sorry yes I should have realised this and not started posting
suggestions yet. I really was just trying to get the manual compiling so
that when you are ready for proof reading I can help. Of course once I
had it compiling, I couldnt resist taking a look :-P

Probably my wife will help to proof read too.

> and the plugin sections needs to be
> written as well. But I will spend the next days on will comment
> the \updatedisclaimer everytime a section is done, so you can start
> proof-reading.

Ok. I will be away from 20-26 dec but will try to see if I can take a
copy to read in between watching lions etc :-)

> btw: I just talked with Tara. She is very busy at the moment but will try to do
> some proof-reading as well. Maybe you can do it in consultation with her.

Ok - probably I will get my wife to collaborate with her. We received
the contract I mentioned a few months back to add content for educators
so we will start looking to see how we can incorporate this effectively
into the manual.

> > One they have done that  they should get the feeling 'ah this GIS stuff
> > is not so hard!' and then dive back into the manual for more technical
> > details.
>
> yes - I agree
>
> > Hopefully the above is just a simple matter of rearranging some content
> > (I havent got very far through reading it in its current incarnation
> > yet), if not we should probably leave this suggestion for a future
> > revision of the QGIS manual.
>
> we will see what we can do, but the manual is not finished yet. I think friday
> evening I can say more...

Ok great. You and the community team have done fantastic work on the
manual already!

 * QGIS programming services
 * FOSS Consulting & Support Services
Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net