[Qgis-community-team] A couple of comments about the manual

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Sat Dec 20 07:47:10 EST 2008

Hi Tim,

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:48:30 +0100
Otto Dassau <otto.dassau at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 23:16:26 +0200
> Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:

[...]

> > One they have done that  they should get the feeling 'ah this GIS stuff
> > is not so hard!' and then dive back into the manual for more technical
> > details.
>
> yes - I agree

this is now done in chapter "getting started" and after that it goes on with a
"Feature at a glance" chapter before it dives into detail...

> > Hopefully the above is just a simple matter of rearranging some content
> > (I havent got very far through reading it in its current incarnation
> > yet), if not we should probably leave this suggestion for a future
> > revision of the QGIS manual.
>
> we will see what we can do, but the manual is not finished yet. I think friday
> evening I can say more...

ok, I updated and reviewed chapter 1-10,14,15,17 and Appendix A,B. Appendix D-M
was copied and adapted from docs/INSTALL.t2t and docs/CODING.t2t. It is just
the status from 16th December. Appendix N (GPL) hasn't changed and should be ok.
All these chapters are ready for proof-reading by native english speakers.

I will go on with the other mssing chapters until monday. Maybe we know then
already which external plugins will be part of the official QGIS repo. Anyway I
am now sure, we will have a manual or at least a preview ready for the release.

regards,
 Otto