[Qgis-community-team] Timeline - manual conventions

Tara Athan tara_athan at alt2is.com
Wed Jun 4 12:56:46 EDT 2008

Stephan - thanks for your offer of assistance!  Once the qgis website is
back on track, I will post trac tickets for each of the sections, and
assign sections 4-7 to you.
Does June 15 seem like a reasonable date to get this conversion completed?
By that time, I plan to have a new dataset up on the website, and then
we would move on the next task, which is modifying examples, or adding
them, based on a consistent dataset.

Thanks, Tara

PS - Community Team: we still need lots of help applying these
conventions to the other sections. This is a test - do we have enough
support from the community team to boost the quality of the manual?

Stephan Holl wrote:
> Hallo Tara,
>
> Tara Athan <tara_athan at alt2is.com>, [20080601 - 01:12:59]
>

>> I have added a subsection to the Forward (in the Manual) to define
>> style conventions, and implemented the styles in the Getting Started
>> section. The conventions are defined as macros, so that we can easily
>> change a convention and have it be uniformly applied throughout the
>> manual. Examples are Buttons, Menu Options, text input by users and
>> so on. Also included are macros that apply to instructions that are
>> platform-specific- see the Starting QGIS section for a demonstration.
>>
>> The actual styles are placeholders- we can modify them to provide
>> better visual cues to the reader. For example, we can add icons for
>> the platform-specific instructions. At present the \tab macro is just
>> a copy of the \button macro, but someone (with more latex experience
>> than I) might write a style that looks more like a tab.

>> * For this to work, we need all sections of the manual to be updated
>> to use these macros.
>> * Would anyone like to volunteer to update a section (4-13) or
>> appendix (A-H)?
>>

> I volunteer to update section 4-7 to include the new macro-usage.

>> * We may find a need for additional macros as we go through the rest
>> of the sections- please let us know if you
>> * find a situation that doesn't fit into any of the existing macros
>> and we will add a new one to the list.
>> *******************************************************************************
>> * Would anyone like to improve the macros? When I compile, (on
>> Windows) I have missing font problems so I can't really
>> * tell what it looks like. Ideally, the manual item should look very
>> similar to the GUI item.
>> ***************************************************************************************
>>

> Do you have posted a timeline for updating the manuel so far?
>
> Best regards
>
> 	Stephan

My e-mail delivery has been unreliable lately, so I am asking for
return receipts from all my email messages.
OK'ing the return receipt lets me know that my message was delivered.
Thank you.

Tara Athan
Principal, Alternatives to Invasive Species
tara_athan [AT] alt2is.com
707-485-1198
PO Box 415
Redwood Valley, CA 95470