[Qgis-community-team] manual plugin section

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Wed Sep 24 03:37:15 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 16:38:14 +0200
Otto Dassau <otto.dassau at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Werner,
>
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 16:36:48 +0200
> "Werner Macho" <werner.macho at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Otto!
> >
> > Unfortunately I'm still busy in my normal job and haven't done very much
> > so far. I think I'll really start on the journey to INTERGEO.
> > So just do with plugin section whatever you'd like to do - I'll stay
> > SVN-updated anyway and welcome every suggestion to make this section
> > clearer and more comfortable.
> > I only have a few vague thoughts I'd like to implement but missing free
> > time at the moment.
> >
> > I agree to your suggestion and still would like to write the "QGIS core
> > plugins" section. Hopefully I'll find time soon. Probably we can write and
> > find some examples together during my stay in germany.
>
> ok, good idea. I start with my suggestions.

I started to restructure the plugin sections and have a few questions and
proposals:

1) Section 10) QGIS Plugins

Explains Plugin Manager, Plugin Installer, management and genral information

2) Section 11) Using QGIS Core Plugins

I updated the plugin list and if necessary prepaired new .tex files and image
folders for each of the 15 plugins. Werner, I guess here you could directly
start to update/write the documenation. I will do the "Mapserver Export"
plugin. When we finished, we could think about aggregating and cleaning up,
where it makes sense.

3) Section 12) Using external QGIS Plugins

a) I would like to describe all plugins in the "official" QGIS repository in the
new manual. But before we start with that, we should ask the developers, if they
could clean up the "official" repository. There are some really nice but not
very important/productive plugins in there.

@Tim: Maybe you have already a plan for that. If not, I would suggest to provide
two QGIS python plugin repositories. One is the "official/stable QGIS
Repository. These plugins are tested and will go into the QGIS manual as an
official part of QGIS (still supported/maintained by their authors). And the
other one is something like a playground/development repository with a status
between a personal and the official one. Users can include it on your own
risk...

b) Then we could encourage the plugin authors, who's plugins are in the official
repository to send the manual team a short description how to use their
plugin(s) and it will go into the manual. Maybe we could manage that before
1.0.0 stable is released?!

4) Section 13) Writing a QGIS plugin in C++
5) Section 14) Writing a QGIS plugin in Python

For 4) there is a lot of material available in the qgis blog and 5) is almost
done, but needs to be tested and updated.

regards,
 otto