[Qgis-community-team] manual plugin section

Borys Jurgiel borys at wolf.most.org.pl
Wed Sep 24 09:42:30 EDT 2008

> @Tim: Maybe you have already a plan for that. If not, I would suggest to
> provide two QGIS python plugin repositories. One is the "official/stable
> QGIS Repository. These plugins are tested and will go into the QGIS manual
> as an official part of QGIS (still supported/maintained by their authors).
> And the other one is something like a playground/development repository
> with a status between a personal and the official one. Users can include it
> on your own risk...

That's exactly what I proposed on qgis-developer list some time ago. Strictly
speaking, I suggest to leave the present repository as is for QGIS 0.x and
create the two new repositories only for QGIS 1.x. The 'official' will be
handled by default, and the 'playground' will be treated by the installer in
the same way as the author repositories. It means it will be automatically
added only if user wishes to use the 3rd party repositories.

It's important to create new repositories and not mix plugins for 0.x and 1.x
in one repository. Another idea was to keep one repository for both APIs and
use plugin metadata for the distinction, but I've deemed it too unreliable,
because some of authors are really insubordinate ;)

Then we can upgrade present plugins and divide them among the two repos.

> b) Then we could encourage the plugin authors, who's plugins are in the
> official repository to send the manual team a short description how to use
> their plugin(s) and it will go into the manual. Maybe we could manage that
> before 1.0.0 stable is released?!

It would be great.

Regards,
B.