[Qgis-community-team] Re: [Qgis-developer] Official Plugin candidates

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Sat Jan 3 16:05:21 EST 2009

Hi

On Sat, 2009-01-03 at 17:40 +0100, Martin Dobias wrote:
> Hi Borys,
>
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 9:37 PM, Borys Jurgiel <borys at wolf.most.org.pl> wrote:
> > - PostGIS Manager (by Martin - is working now?)
>
> PostGIS Manager is in about beta quality - it lacks more extensive
> testing and has probably some unresolved bugs or missing features but
> generally it should be usable.
>
> I don't know whether it's a good idea to document it in this phase.
> Probably plugins shouldn't be documented in main user manual and
> should be documented on their own. This IMO would better reflect
> different release cycles of plugins and QGIS - imagine that a python
> plugin documented in docs for 1.0 will be altered heavily during life
> of qgis 1.0 - leaving users with outdated documentation. There could
> be a unified way of documenting plugins, e.g. each one with docs
> included would contain directory "doc" with index.html and potentailly
> more files. The docs would be written in HTML format, preferably using
> only subset supported by Qt. Documentation writers would help plugin
> developers to write the docs, like this plugins will have always fresh
> documentation available that could be opened anytime (and not
> requiring user to search for appropriate chapter in QGIS docs).
> Thoughts?

I tend to second this (Martin's) notion. If we do document things in the
user guide is should be simply a table showing the name and function of
the plugins in the official repo. The plugins stored in QGIS and shipped
with official releases would make sense to be documented in the user
guide though.

Regards

Tim