[Qgis-community-team] Re: [Qgis-developer] Official Plugin candidates

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Sun Jan 4 06:08:00 EST 2009

Hi,

On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 23:05:21 +0200
Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Sat, 2009-01-03 at 17:40 +0100, Martin Dobias wrote:
> > Hi Borys,
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 9:37 PM, Borys Jurgiel <borys at wolf.most.org.pl>
> > wrote:
> > > - PostGIS Manager (by Martin - is working now?)
> >
> > PostGIS Manager is in about beta quality - it lacks more extensive
> > testing and has probably some unresolved bugs or missing features but
> > generally it should be usable.
> >
> > I don't know whether it's a good idea to document it in this phase.
> > Probably plugins shouldn't be documented in main user manual and
> > should be documented on their own. This IMO would better reflect
> > different release cycles of plugins and QGIS - imagine that a python
> > plugin documented in docs for 1.0 will be altered heavily during life
> > of qgis 1.0 - leaving users with outdated documentation. There could
> > be a unified way of documenting plugins, e.g. each one with docs
> > included would contain directory "doc" with index.html and potentailly
> > more files. The docs would be written in HTML format, preferably using
> > only subset supported by Qt. Documentation writers would help plugin
> > developers to write the docs, like this plugins will have always fresh
> > documentation available that could be opened anytime (and not
> > requiring user to search for appropriate chapter in QGIS docs).
> > Thoughts?
>
> I tend to second this (Martin's) notion. If we do document things in the
> user guide is should be simply a table showing the name and function of
> the plugins in the official repo. The plugins stored in QGIS and shipped
> with official releases would make sense to be documented in the user
> guide though.

Because external plugins will change a lot I also agree that the main
documentation of external plugins should be provided with the plugin itself (a
web page or help menu...). In the manual I would like to give an overview
to the user and offer a list of official plugins with a short description
of what the external plugin does and together with links to the probably more
uptodate information.

But I guess, if a plugin has beta status, it wouldn't be part of the official
repository anyway, or?

regards,
 Otto