[Qgis-community-team] switch to pdflatex is over

MORREALE Jean Roc jr.morreale at enoreth.net
Thu May 13 15:07:58 EDT 2010

Hi,

The switch of the documentation trunk to pdflatex is over, there is some
quirks we'll fix asap but most of the manual is correct.

Main change is that there is no need to use makefiles anymore, if you're
on unix you just have to follow these steps :

$ pdflatex user_guide.tex which will ask for the biblio
$ bibtex user_guide.aux for the bibliography (which needs to be feed)
$ pdflatex user_guide.tex to get the final pdf

The TeX distribution that has been used is TeXlive 2009 [1], it works on
Windows, MacOS X, linux and comes with a nice GUI called TeXwork. This
editor allow to work with the PDF and the source side by side (click on
the pdf to modify the corresponding tex part).

One improvement would be to make better screen capture, many can't be
placed into the tex and have to be put at the end of the section because
of their size but they often have a lot a useless space. My advice would
be to resize your windows and uncheck useless toolbars when taking a capture

With these changes any contributor can obtain an updated manual in 2mn
(well if you don't count the texlive's download).

Regards,
MORREALE Jean Roc

[1] http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html