[Qgis-community-team] QGIS Docs in GIT

yjacolin at free.fr yjacolin at free.fr
Sat Nov 12 04:57:15 EST 2011

Hello,

I have some experience with other translation I made for other project (ie MapServer, OpenLayers, GDAL-OGR, GeoServer).

Currently I have my own repository here https://github.com/yjacolin/GeoDocFr for OpenLayers and GDAL-OGR. MS translation is in the SVN trunk.

For GDAL-OGR I have for each section one page and some metadata at the end of the file, see sourcecode of https://github.com/yjacolin/GeoDocFr/blob/master/gdal/gdal/gdal_translate.rst (by default github render rst file in html for my github). Metadata are mainly date, authors and commit number. This way I know from which commit I have to begin the diff. GDAL-OGR follow the svn trunk. OpenLayers also.

For OL, I am following commit ML so I know when a change has been made in the doc dir but there too few changes in the doc.
For GDAL-OGR, I take sometime regularly to update the doc using commit number because there is too much changes.

GDAL-OGR keep historic information in the doc, new feature are tagged with "(from version 1.9)" for instance. So for me it is not a problem to not follow exactly the release of GDAL-OGR. People can know which new feature will be in the next release.

QGIS is a little bit different. But I think documentation release mean we will have a commit number (a start and end of the english update process). Start will be the commit number of the previous release, end will be the last change just before the release.

Translation process can occurs either in the same time as the english release is updated (not so good imho) or after the release.

One issue: if you tag an english release, french documentation won't be up to date. When we will tag the french release, english doc will be the future release. I don't know if git allow a tag for a specific directory in the repository. If so it will be the good way. This is the main problem we need to address.

I don't know if it helps, anyway :)

Y.