[Qgis-community-team] Documentation repo

Otto Dassau dassau at gbd-consult.de
Mon Nov 14 11:52:54 EST 2011

Hi,

Am Sun, 13 Nov 2011 13:55:37 +0200
schrieb Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com>:

> Hi
>
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Alexander Bruy
> <alexander.bruy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Tim, Otto
> >
> > 2011/11/12 Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com>:
> >> Hi All
> >>
> >> Due to some reorganisation based on talks with Otto, I had to drop and
> >> recreate the new docs repo. Please make a fresh clone!
> >
> > Does any rules or guide how process will be organized available?
> >
> > I notice that user guide files located in english_us directory while
> > coding guide, gentle introduction, brochure and cookbook all located in
> > top-level directory without language subdirs. Is this correct?
> >

> Ok so Otto isnt able to reply from the network here but he asks to
> mention the following:
>
> - in the next week he will update the wiki with the new procedures
> - he will set up permissions for writers to access the docs
> - we have filed a OSGEO SAC request to ask them to make svn read only
> from now on.
>
> Regards
>
> Tim

first step is done - the qgis-docs is set to read-only by SAC and we have all
parts of the documentation migrated to git - thanks to Tim!

You find the content of the qgis-docs repo split up in 5 new repos here:
https://github.com/qgis/

We devided into
- QGIS-Documentation
- QGIS-Compilation-Guide
- QGIS-Gentle-Introduction
- QGIS-Developer-Cookbook
- QGIS-Brochure

next steps:

1) within this week I want to update the wiki with the new procedures and
howtos.

2) Add write permission for users who want to work on the english manual
  update for 1.8. This is the current list from subversion. I think we
  will have to clean up a little. Please have a look and write, if you are
  still interested or not.

aghisla
alesarrett
bogzab
cdavilam
cengel
custard
dassau
djq
dr
geognu
jrm
ludo
lutra
martijn
micha
musbandishoev
robert
rospus
santini
sholl
taraathan
tbecker
vesnikos
wbprime
yjacolin

3) Add write permission for translation leads, so they can create forks and
  organize translations with other translators.

At http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Manual_Translation#Translation_Maintainers I
find currently these translation coordinators. We should check, if this list
is still uptodate, too:

French: Jean Roc
German:	Otto
Greek: 	Stefanos Anastasiou
Italian: Paolo
Polish: Robert Szczepanek
Brazilian Portuguese: Arthur
Portuguese: Giovanni Manghi
Russian: Denis Rykov
Spanish: Mario Pisa

Are you still available? If there are people missing, please add yourself to
the wiki. Please also drop me a note if you are still interested or not.

4) For release 1.8 I assume that we will still use latex to write the
manual, so people can get used to work with git for now. After we released
the 1.8 manual, the plan is to start to migrate the latex sources to rst,
which will allow us to more easily edit the documentation online within
github, provide html, pdf, odt, ...