[Qgis-community-team] Updates on the new Documentation infrastructure

Paolo Corti pcorti at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 17:01:38 EDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 9:41 PM, Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 6:50 PM, Alexander Bruy
> <alexander.bruy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> 2012/4/18 Paolo Corti <pcorti at gmail.com>:
>>> Today I have committed latest version of Sphinx Makefile.
>>> At this point it should be easy to compile messages and build
>>> documentation, you can find a basic workflow in the readme file [1].
>> Readme file recommends use Virtaal for translation. AFAIK latest
>> versions of QtLinguist also can work with .po files. Does Virtaal has
>> any advantages in compare with QtLinguist?
>>

> Yes we have used linguist here with .po files and it works quite
> nicely. Also if you have multiple po/ts files open it cross references
> between them for phrase hints etc which is very nice.

I wouldn't mind that each translator would opt for her/his preferred
tool (there are several ones, also gTranslator seems to me very good),
but according to the Pottle documentation [1] (as someone - do not
rembember who - suggested at the HF), Virtal is the suggested tool.
I am quiet confident, anyway, that you could use any tool,
gTranslator, QtLinguist, vim, gedit or whatever, because as far as I
can see there are not particula advantages. So we could stay with
Tim's suggestion, and give QtLinguist a try.

> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 6:50 PM, Alexander Bruy
> <alexander.bruy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, if I understand correctly now we can start to translate user
> guide, right?

no, at least not until we commit to git the first master rst
documentations, with related .pot and .po files.
So you need still to bear a bit, as the the following email by Jean
Roc suggested. Or, maybe, contribute to the LaTeX to RST migration
consolidation effort?

cheers

[1] http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle/offline_translation

--