[Qgis-community-team] please vote for graphic implementation

Otto Dassau dassau at gbd-consult.de
Fri Aug 24 09:01:43 PDT 2012

Dear Larissa,

Am Fri, 24 Aug 2012 17:01:32 +0200
schrieb Larissa Junek <junek at gbd-consult.de>:

> Hello all,
>
> after six months of work, we approach the end of the conversion to
> rst :).

That sounds perfect :).

> One 'last' thing we should clarify before we proceed with the
> updates is how we program graphics. Currently there are three versions
> implemented:
>
> 1.
> ###
> the figure:
> .. _`plugins/plugins_gps/loadgpx`:
>
> .. figure:: img/en/plugins_gps/loadgpx.png
>    :align: center
>    :width: 40em
>
>    The *GPS Tools* dialog window
>
> the rst reference for the figure is:
> see Figure `plugins/plugins_gps/loadgpx`_
>
> and in the manual it would look like this:
> "See Figure plugins/plugins_gps/loadgpx"
>
> 2.
> ###
> the figure:
> .. _figure_vector_3:
> .. figure:: img/en/shapefileloaded.png
>    :width: 650
>    :align: center
>
>    Figure Vector 3: |qg| with Shapefile of Alaska loaded |nix|
>
> the rst reference for the figure is:
> Figure_vector_3_ shows
>
> and in the manual it would look like this:
> "See Figure_vector_3"
>
> 3.
> ###
> the figure:
>
> .. _`grass_location`:
>
> .. figure:: img/en/grass_location.png
>    :align: center
>    :width: 40em
>
>    GRASS data in the alaska LOCATION
>
> the rst reference for the figure is:
> see Figure `grass_location`_
>
> in the manual it would look like this:
> "See Figure grass_location"
>
> #####################################
>
> I would prefere to have only one version at the end, so people who are
> interested to help don't get confused. My favorite is version 2, since
> it shows a relation between figure caption and reference in the text.
> But before we start to rewrite all figures, I would like to ask what
> your opinion is.
>
> Can you please vote for one version, so we can adapt the others asap?
>
> Kind regards,
> Larissa

I would also go for version 2, because as you said, this way manual readers
can more easily find figures, if the references in the text are repeated in
the figure caption. Hope it means not too much work to adapt it all again.

I think we are all looking forward to reading in the new manual and I hope
more people will join your efforts and help updating to 1.8.

Many thanks to all who have worked on the latex to rst conversion!