[Qgis-community-team] review translatability

Paolo Corti pcorti at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 04:27:58 PDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 2:59 AM, Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Diethard Jansen
> <diethard.jansen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Although the latex to rst conversion is nearly done, I am a bit worried
>> about a thing.
>> I reviewed if created rst documents could be translated.
>> I tried a bit of translation to Dutch (nl)..
>>
>> The translation of preamble.rst was fine.
>> The translation of features_at_a_glance.rst did not work for me.
>> I could create latest .pot file, merging to existing Dutch .po file was ok,
>> I could continue with translations in QtLinguist and after this I created
>> .mo file.
>> In Github the localised mo.files are missing, but locally they are
>> available. So everything seems fine but after building html I do not see a
>> translated version of features_at_a_glance with a bit of Dutch in it.
>>
>> In another case I tried to create new .pot files for folder "working" but
>> then python jumps to using 99% CPU time and seem to end up looping, for it
>> seems to runs forever.
>>
>> Can someone confirm my findings and indicate where I should look for
>> failure(s) in translation process (i.e. logging).
>> I am working on the documentation on a MacBook (OSX) using Emacs.
>>

> We will probably need to create some scripts to manage the translation
> process. If you are handy with bash you can try porting the scripts
> from the training manual https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Training-Manual
> to make the process work seamlessly, or stand by for Paolo Corti's
> Pootle roll out. I will chat to Paolo next week and try to get some
> working scripts in place (unless he already did this and I missed the
> thread).

@Tim, I am quiet busy nowadays so I still did not :(
A nice plan could be to import in Pootle the Training Manual, as you
suggested, and use it as a test bed for the user guide translation
process
next week should be better for me as well - at least I hope ;)

@Diethard, I got in your same shoes with a couple of different files,
I suspect is a docutils/sphinx malfunctioning. I guess our best option
could be to post the problem to the sphinx list, to begin

regards

Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer
web: http://www.paolocorti.net