[Qgis-community-team] Q-GIS case study from Tanzania

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 07:08:56 EST 2012

Hi!

On Mon, 2012-02-13 at 07:55 +0000, Nick McWilliam wrote:
> Hello Q-GIS community team -
>
> We just wanted to let you know about a successful two-day GIS training
> session held in Tanzania last week, using Quantum GIS. Would you like to use
> this as a case study? (http://qgis.org/en/community/qgis-case-studies.html)

this is really a nice case study! can someone add it to the QGIS page?

I would also make another try (contacting Luiz Motta, that is a active
member of the qgis community) to write a case study about this project
in the Amazon forest

http://portal.mda.gov.br/terralegal/pages/ferramentas

> At a technical level, the one area of difficulty we encountered was with
> direct GPS connection, so EasyGPS and MapSource were used as intermediaries.

what was the problem?

> The Table Manager extension came to the rescue for altering and deleting
> attribute fields - might this become part of the standard installation?

When qgis will be compiled against gdal 1.9 (should happen soon) then it
will be able to delete/rename shapefiles fields without the need of any
3rd party tool.

cheers

-- Giovanni --