[Qgis-community-team] docs structure - translation and sphinx

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Sat Oct 13 20:31:38 PDT 2012

Hi Richard

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 2:37 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde <richard at duif.net> wrote:
> Hi Docsters,
>
> I want to start a little discussion about the document structure we
> currently use.
>
> We have one root, in which we have current tree main documents: manual,
> gis-intro and documentation-guidelines
>
> We then build a html tree and three pdf from them.
>
> BUT the main reason to use rst/sphinx combi was to facilitate easier
> translation. But in current structure just ONE pot file is created for every
> 'main document'. This means it is not easy (impossible?) to for example to
> divide the translation of the manual in chunks like: you do the vector
> parts, you grass and you the raster chapter. Because there is just one po
> file to translate for the whole manual.
> So I think we should try to create one po(t) per manual chapter.
>
> So question:
> Does someone know of a way to create more po(t) files for the manual (from
> "http://sphinx.pocoo.org/builders.html": This (gettext) builder produces
> gettext-style message catalogs. Each *top-level* file or *subdirectory*
> grows a single .pot catalog template)
>
> Or otherwise I propose one of following:
>
> - either a flatter structure with maybe a prefix in the source directory to
> group directories (like: manual_introduction, manual_working_with_vector,
> manual_***, another_doc_chapter1, another_doc_chapter2 etc etc)
>
> - or just more source directories, one for every document (and if I
> understand correct, it should still be possible to link from one to
> another??). Is there some sphinx guru who can confirm this?
>
> Somebody some input for this? Or can somebody either confirm of falsify the
> above conclusions/ideas
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde

I prefer to maintain a tree structure. I recall that you can set the
sphinx gettext tool to combine po files or create separate ones. I
just need to look at my notes. Unfortunately I am busy with a big
InaSAFE deadline so I can't delve into it right now. I will hopefully
get some time to go into it in this coming week.

Regards

Tim

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services