[Qgis-community-team] Transifex as an alternative approach to Pootle?

Paolo Corti pcorti at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 03:53:15 PDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde <richard at duif.net> wrote:

> Hi Paolo,
>
> I think we are getting closer to starting to open doc translation (either by
> downloading a po file from github and translating it in linguist, or by
> using translate.qgis.org). But to me it looks like translate.qgis.org is not
> 'linked' to github yet?
>
> Eg. http://translate.qgis.org/fr/qgis-user-guide/ shows that the intro
> should be 100% translated, but
> http://documentation.qgis.org/html/fr/user_manual/preamble/foreword.html is
> still 100% english...
>
> Is it easy to fix and to incorporate in current workflow?
>
> What was the idea? That he po files used by pootle would be maintained (and
> pushed to github manually) by a language-maintainer?
>
> Or is there a more intelligent way, in which pootle is really synching it's
> files to/with github?
>
> Do you have time to either do this or write something down in
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation so others can try to fix this?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hello Richard

On the server you have two directories:

Pootle site: /home/web/qgis-django-pootle/pootle/

Documentation (git clone): /var/www/documentation/github/QGIS-Documentation

This is how you can add projects and languages to the project:

* Log in as admin in the Pootle application (let me know off list if
you need admin password, also Jean Roc and Tim should have it)
* Go to the projects page: http://translate.qgis.org/admin/projects.html
* Add a new project, ie qgis (we can use this as the main qgis
documentation project)
* Add a project language, for example IT
* Now log in to the server, and go to the Pootle's po directory:
/home/web/qgis-django-pootle/pootle/po
* Check if your new Pootle project is there. Then cd to the project
directory and create a soft link for each language (linking to the
documentation clone in the server)::

    $ cd qgis-user-guide-new
    $ ln -s /var/www/documentation/github/QGIS-Documentation/i18n/it it

* Repeat the process for each language
* Now enable users to edit and commit and so on
* Users should be able now to go to the translation pages:
http://translate.qgis.org/it/qgis/LC_MESSAGES/ and edit and commit
translation

I have now created a new project for the QGIS Documentation, named
qgis (old one was referring to an old clone, that is why it was not
updated) and added the IT language to it.

A couple of notes:

* I had to change the QGIS-Documentation clone ownership in the server
to the web user, this way the git commit and push is possible from the
apache user running the Pootle instance::

    # chown -R web:web /var/www/documentation/github/QGIS-Documentation

* I changed the github url parameter in the .git/config file. From::

    url = git://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation.git

    to::

    url = git at github.com:qgis/QGIS-Documentation.git

So please, check if the documentation build project is still working
smoothly after these changes.

I have then realized that git commit is still not working, as it looks
like the git clone in server has many difference from the original
repository. Can I safely remove it and reclone it?

regards

Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer
web: http://www.paolocorti.net