[Qgis-community-team] Transifex and doc 1.8

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Mon Apr 1 02:17:32 PDT 2013

On 01-04-13 10:50, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> I understand the reasoning, and I agree that wating translators time wouold be a huge
> mistake. I think the approach Diethard suggest will put serious limitation to the
> flexibility of the process. I think it is quite common for translators to find
> mistakes in the sources, and waiting the next release to fix them is an heavy burden.
> Could we think of a backporting system?

I proposed this earlier, but to be honest, I have the feeling that a
translating process is not fitting in the normal github source code model.

I think it would be easier to NOT create github branches for every major
(I mean 1.8 2.0 etc) version, but just copy the documentation tree (or
at least the desktop-appliation/python cookbook/otherversionspecificedoc
sources) and have a copy for every version in master in Github.

-1- This makes it voor Github novices easier to see there are more
versions of the docs in the tree (as they SEE 1.8 2.0 and master in
their clone/checkout).
-2- This makes it easier to deploy everything at once on the webserver also

Downside is:
-1- we have to update the scripts to handle this every version
-2- there is a lot of redundancy in sources of the desktop

But it makes the proces easier and more transparant for non coders, and
also easier to do parallel translation/fixing of docs for older versions.

Feel free to disagree and tell me :-)

Regards,

Richard