[Qgis-community-team] website structure

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Thu Aug 29 00:22:50 PDT 2013

On 29-08-13 00:14, Jeffrey Johnson wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Eva has prepared a much simpler version for discussion and comparison.
> My own inclination is to prefer the initial version of the home/splash page.
>
> http://dev.opengeo.org/~jjohnson/qgis_simpler.zip

I like these designs very much, personally better then the earlier ones,
thanks again!

Taking the Manual page.pdf as an example for all Documentation pages: we
can remove the flags there, we have the dropdown in the top now

Not 100% sure if we should see Download as a menu item everywhere: one
button on front bringing you to the download is ok I think

I think we should start now to decide colors and images, and implement
something :-)

my technical concerns:

- this is al to be implemented in Sphinx templates. So either be sure to
minimize the total number of (unique) website pages (which are actually
translatable Sphinx templates which have content included in them(!)) OR
we should go for a more overall simpler design which can be implemented
as real templates where content come from rst

- this is to be implemented in Bootstrap isn't it? Then we decide to
take bootstrap 3? OR are we using Ryan Roemers bootstrap sphinx theme???
My feeling is that our design is flowing away from the more
classic/menubased way Ryan's theme is taking.

- if this is implemented in Bootstrap: how well does the jquery pages
slide plugin play with this, and how is this working on mobile/small
screens. Eventually it would we great if we can merge this back into the
general content heap we have (docs and website).
If we take bootstrap OUT of the 'website'-pages, it should be easy to
put the design/colours/etc into the bootstrap we use with the docs and
other websites also.

- I think we should either use (bootstrap) menus (and keep them small)
OR
  go for this little menu-buttons (like you see on geonode.org or when
you have a mobile screen in current docs site) in combination wiht a
pages slide (IF the work on mobile/bootstrap)
OR
  no menus at all

Hope this is not too much text again :-(, it is just that I really want
to have something we can reuse, not a nice standalone site

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde