[Qgis-community-team] Manuals and help

Victor Olaya volayaf at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 13:03:13 PDT 2013

Andreas

I discussed this already with Paolo. Basically, the thing is that the
SAGA community hasn't done any work documenting the algorithms in all
the time that SAGA has been around, so if we want to have this ready
one day, which is itself a very large amount of work, we should not
have anything that might make it more difficult.

Also, algorithms in SEXTANTE have been modified to make them more user
friendly, so the parameters are not exactly the same ones as in SAGA.
For instance, some algorithms ask for  coordinate values as separate
numbers, while in SEXTANTE I have grouped them in a extent parameter,
so it can be entered by just clicking and dragging on the QGIS canvas.
Other algorithms have several options, some of which are not available
in SEXTANTE baecause they do not make sense or do not integrate well.
Having those algorithms with a documentation that does not match what
the SEXTANTE user sees will make their usage more confusing.

But, for me, the main reason to do it on our own is just to make thing
easier, since, unfortunately, I do not think that doing it upstream
will have any benefit for us, while it can be less practical for
contributors from our side

Cheers
Victor