[Qgis-community-team] 2.2 manual updates

Otto Dassau dassau at gbd-consult.de
Sun Feb 2 03:39:29 PST 2014

Hi Ramon,

Am Sun, 2 Feb 2014 17:33:45 +0800
schrieb Ramon Andiñach <custard at westnet.com.au>:

> Hi all,
>
> I *think* I've got my head around git and rst enough to be useful again -
> so I've been looking at adding in the "paste into new layers" feature into
> working_with_vector/Editing (pull request #201 - assuming the bit about me
> sort of being able to use git is true!).

thanks a lot for your help and the first pull request. Your help is vrey
welcome.

> While messing about with this, I've hit upon a few questions.
> 1. Paste into new layer can use a memory layer. I can't see anything in
> the ToC about memory layers and grep isn't showing anything either. I
> think there should be one, as a number of things now generate output as
> memory layers. Should it be put in working_with_vector/supported_data ?
> (I've used these as output but in a non-extensive way, so if I do this
> someone would need to brief me in a bit - e.g. do I remember correctly
> that memory layers are not as volatile as they used to be and can now be
> saved into projects?).

yes, there is no section about memory layers yet and I would agree that it
would make sense to put it as an extra section to "supported_data". I have
no experience with the new usage of memory layers in 2.2. yet.

> 2. I'm not sure that "DXF export" belongs in vector. It's in Project
> (which implies it works on the project) and looks like it's designed to
> push the project out to a DXF. I've moved it like this on the wiki.
> Of course, it also looks like it can be used to export individual vectors
> to dxf, so where it really belongs is probably up for grabs. Thoughts?

add it to projects, it will be fine I guess since it is part of that menue.

> 3.
> I'm beginning to suspect that the descriptions of the snapping threshold
> and search radius need a bit of clarification. I think using "the closest
> vertex you are trying to move when you click on the map," invites
> confusion with the threshold value that is used when you "set a new vertex
> or move an existing vertex." Also, the search radius is used in selecting
> the feature to edit, before even trying to move anything. I'm not yet sure
> what I'd suggest as a replacement, but wondered what others thought?

Your corrections and improvements are welcome. If you want to add something,
feel free to do so. I/we could have a look at your pull request then and
discuss if we don't agree.

> I'll add a few more bits if I get time...

Thanks a lot!

Otto

> -ramon.

Geoinformatik Büro Dassau - http://www.gbd-consult.de
FOSSGIS consulting , training , support  and analysis
Ackerstrasse 144c  ,  D - 40233 Düsseldorf ,  Germany
Tel: +49-(0)211-47468178 , Mobile: +49-(0)171-4687540

--
Community Advisor - QGIS Project Steering Committee