[Qgis-community-team] community info on frontpage

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Sat Feb 8 15:14:40 PST 2014

Hi Anita,

we have been talking about putting QGIS User Group
news/announcement/feed on the frontpage of qgis.org.

another wish was to put the flickr-image on the frontpage, and maybe the
planet feed too.

I've did a simple hack, on which the atomfeeds of flickr and planet
would be received once a day via curl or so.
Then some javascript reads this and creates some simple html of it.

It would look about like this:

http://qgis.org/en/site/index2.html

(below in the 'Latest News' part).

Currently I do only first 7 entries of the feed

Information is as is, eg some titles could be more descriptive...

Usergroup news is fake, and not linking to anything. But in case of some
atom feed, it would link to meetup pages, QUG pages or whatever.

Planet blocks and QUG blocks could maybe be spiced up with an image/logo
(but for what I seen now, atom does not have some icon or so?)

Any comments/ideas/feedback? I deliberately kept it simple for now.
(styling is hardcoded in css, must me moved to less)

Regards,

Richard

ps japanese is a google translate, plz do not blame me ;-)