[Qgis-community-team] [Qgis-developer] translation: breaking ts file up in parts for transifex ?

Kari Salovaara kari.salovaara at pp1.inet.fi
Sun Feb 16 04:23:46 PST 2014

On 02/16/2014 01:49 PM, Alexander Bruy wrote:
>> String cannot be too long; if You cannot translate the string correctly it's
>> developers duty to modify/update the dialog structure to make all
>> translations possible (that's called democracy). ;)
> I can translate string correctly. But you miss some points:
>   - in some languages average word length is bigger that in others, as result
>     translated string can be much longer than original
>   - sometimes original string should be translated in a flexible way, using
>     synonyms or even totally rephrased.
>
> There are some other reasons why translated string has bigger length
> that original
> one. And this is not developers duty, this is translator duty to make
> UI consistent
> and easy to read.

I've almost single handed translated from so called English language the
whole QGIS application (and some other applications too), so I think
I've some experience. The language structure is very different in
various languages (I've also some knowledge of other languages than
Finnish ;) ). If You cannot fit translation in too small area then
translator cannot obey Your order and duties You mentioned. QGIS is
meant to be a quality software and that means those texts which
developer has originally written should be used (mostly) but at least
they should be understandable. To change dialog e.g. using the tools Qt
provides, it'll take max 3 mins. and I consider that a very limited cost
compared that if user cannot understand and you have to help him/her
each time 15 mins. or that we get bad reputation and QGIS will not get
new users.

I'm not looking any fight here, I'm only looking quality result. These
issues have been somewhat a problem since gui came into use, for me late
70's.

Cheers,
Kari

--
Kari Salovaara
Hanko, Finland

"Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart." ~Elizabeth Andrew