[Qgis-community-team] different data downloads on qgis.org and osgeo.org?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon Feb 17 01:32:41 PST 2014

Hi,

for the training manual we need to put a separate data download somewhere.

While searching for a place to put them it appears we have at least two
server/places serving data (and downloads):

http://download.osgeo.org/qgis/
and
http://qgis.org/downloads/

Jurgen tells me that the last one has the latest installers, while
(seems to me) the first one has the latest sample data download.

If you go up one dir at the osgeo dir, there are some (historical?)
installers available?

The sample data seemingly differ in the addition of a hill shade geotiff??

Questions:
- am I right that the data-zip at osgeo is latest?
- is there already some plan like I describe below

PLANS (for Vienna; plz remind and help :-) ):
- manually sync stuff between those dirs (maybe some historical
installers at osgeo are worth keeping)
- make download dir on qgis.org canonical (that one should have always
latest)
- automatic sync to other servers (like osgeo one for load balancing and
backup). This can include making those other servers primary download
servers!
- also include plugins-zips into that (currently there seems no backup
for those)
- find/plan out how to handle for download statistics
- ? maybe download.qgis.org and data.qgis.org
- document all this on wiki...

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde