[Qgis-community-team] Development pages in QGIS Website

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Wed Feb 26 08:28:52 PST 2014

The pages which should guide you into building your own QGIS, debugging
it, or creating plugins are considered 'messy' currently. People find it
hard to find their way in the website.

I'm wondering why that is, and do a proposal here:

1) is this page:
http://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/index.html
ok as starting page?
(I think it is ok)

2) then the second step is to go to the QGIS Development index page,
which actually became a page with a lot of info on it:
  http://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/development/index.html
especially compared to a page like:
  http://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/governance/index.html
which is truly an 'index'.

So my proposal:

make
http://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/index.html
a truly index page with as main indexes (and thus different pages):

- Roadmap (and info about how we release)
- Licenses (does this deserve it's own page? Or should it go in FAQ)?
- Compiling QGIS yourself (links to INSTALL.txt, api docs and additional
debug info)
- Bugs Features and Issues (info which is now on index page)
- Creating Plugins (both python and cpp, probabls also links to api
docs, mostly links to other places). Or make two items of this?

Any comments or ideas on this, or make this better?

Without any, I just do the above thing :-)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde